Prince George’s Chapel Cemetery
General John Dagworthy Monument
Prince George’s Chapel was received by the Worcester Parish of the Church of England on June 30, 1757, when the Dagsboro area was still a part of Maryland.
The chapel, on two acres of land purchased from Walter Evans, was named for Prince George, who later became King George III of England, presided over the loss of the American colonies, and suffered from several bouts of insanity that eventually became permanent.
Less than 100 years after its construction, the chapel’s condition had deteriorated to a point that services were discontinued. Services were held annually for some time but the building was largely maintained as an historic site by the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware.
The Sussex County Laymen’s League funded a complete restoration in 1928 and the church was rededicated on June 30, 1929.
The state of Delaware bought the property in 1967. After major renovations, the chapel, located at the intersection of Routes 26 and 382, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
The cemetery is the site of the grave of General John Dagworthy, a Revolutionary War officer who settled in the area, supported the church, and for whom Dagsboro is named.
Source: Sussex County Online
Cemetery Committee Officers:
||Friends of Prince George’s Chapel Representative
||Representative for Town Council
View Past Meeting Minutes & Agendas
Have questions regarding the Cemetery? Please email Brian Baull, Town Council Representative at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prince George’s Rules & Regulations
Prince George’s Chapel Cemetery Burial Info Sheet
Prince George’s Cemetery Change of Ownership Form
Prince George’s Cemetery Corner Markers Form
Prince George’s Chapel Cemetery Fees
Cemetery Rules The sign (pictured above) at the Prince George’s Chapel Cemetery was graciously prepared and donated by Mr. Scott Crater, a town resident, stating the rules & regulations for the cemetery. The Mayor & Council would like to acknowledge this donation by Mr. Crater and thank him for his generosity to the Town.
By: Melody Chandler
Please see the links below for the complete Cemetery Project.
Cemetery Project Introduction
Cemetery Project – Chandler Research Paper
Cemetery Project – Chandler References
Click here to view the GeoPhysical Survey PDF
Want to Donate to the Prince George’s Chapel Cemetery?
You can mail a check made payable to “Prince George’s Chapel Cemetery” to P.O. Box 420, Dagsboro, DE 19939. Memo: Donation to PGC Cemetery
You can also make a donation on-line by clicking here
<< Back to Chapel Information